Use accident reports to predict the future. Identify trends which deviate from the prediction and use this to instigate investigations/corrective actions.
- Gareth Clews
- Ian Grimstead
- Flt Lt Peter Kennedy (RAF)
- Improve MOD safety culture from the bottom up
- Although limited flight safety analysis exists, action taken to prevent accidents is often reactive to unforseen, disparate combinations of contributory factors, after an event has happened
- Identify when large scale avoidable incidents may occur which may prompt investigations and focused training to try to prevent them
- Potential to improve training on reporting, understanding reporting culture, human behaviour and more
- Detecting anomalous squadron behaviour
- Allowing a more generative approach to flight safety
- How will we share this - published work including code-base, presentations, training courses etc.
- Use cases for MOD, Military Aviation, Civil Aviation, ‘Total Safety’ and other areas where there are reports (logistics/shipping)
- Potential for innovative means of feature extraction, Named Entity Recognition applications on report text, LSTMs and beyond for time series prediction
- What is the data science stack ? Baleen/spaCy, keras: autoencoder, LSTM/GRU, diffusion manifold methods (whatever they live in - LAPACK+BLAS?), python but with opportunities for others (C, Haskell, Fortran)
- Does it use ONS infrastructure or expertise, or extend capacity in some way?
- ONS: no, only DSC
- Capacity: involvement from MOD, RAF, CAA + MAA who have analysts untrained in these things who will contribute and learn, prototype systems for use
- Who are the Partners / stakeholders? MOD, RAF, MAA, CAA, Flight Safety Analytics
- Duty holders at all levels, Delivery Duty Holder (e.g. Station Commander), Operational Duty Holder (e.g. Air Officer Commanding), Senior Duty Holder (e.g. Chief of the Air Staff)
- Who are we working with? The partners/stakeholders mentioned above
Code and outputs
- What are the outputs? Repo, paper
- Links to (public) Github repositories. As and when they are made?
Related and existing work
- Links to related research, other groups (inside + outside gov): Accelerator project presentation will be made available soon
- Related + similar projects: NLP projects (optimus, patent_explorer, keywords, people survey), LSTM+extra (patent explorer, data project?)
- Project started: November 2018?
- A milestone
- Another milestone
- Estimated delivery
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- No updates yet.