The project will aim to help the Department of International Trade (DIT) efficiently support their policy makers when reading and analysing the UK Global Tariff consultation . The project will also build the skills and capability of DIT to perform their own analysis moving forward.
- Stuart Newcombe
- David Pugh
Impact (see the impact assessment framework for further details)
Which of the Campus strategic objectives would this project deliver, and how?
- Building capability
What is the policy impact? Why is this project important?
- Will help DIT inform decisions on MFN policy
- Will help guide policy makers read and understand key responses
- Will increase capability of DIT to analyse their own consultations moving forward
What is the technical impact?
- The project will use simple NLP techniques such as TF-IDF and topic modelling
Why should the Campus do it?
- Capability building only, the work contains no novel techniques and small corpus
Portfolio balance and stakeholders
- Project covers economics and trade
- Stakeholders are DIT
- The project will aim to help DIT quickly analyse the MFN consultation
- Project will start as the consultation launches in February
- Data source will be MFN Consultation responses. Until the consultation closes it is unknown the quantity and quality of these responses. Data will have all identifying and protected characteristic information removed and should be treated as official sensitive.
- It is uncertain what quantity and quality of data is expected. The consultation question structure could lead to a very sparse dataset with short responses. The ability to apply any techniques will be very dependent on the data collected. Resource at DIT could also be reassigned with little notice.
Code and outputs
- Example code handed to DIT for use on their system
Related and existing work
- Previous DIT consultation analysis (unpublished)
- February 2020 Consultation launched
- March 2020 Consultation ends, analysis starts
- May 2020 Code handed over
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- No updates yet.